What We Do
Guest speakers at its monthly meetings cover a broad range of topics about the Hamilton area. Many of these past addresses have been published in the Society’s journal Wentworth Bygones.
The ongoing collection and preservation of historical photographs resulted in the popular volumes:
- Around and About Hamilton 1785-1985
- Hamilton: Panorama of Our Past
- Downtown Hamilton: The Heart of It All
- On the Market
Our motto states the goals of the Head-of-the-Lake Historical Society: to Explore, Preserve and Relate information about Hamilton heritage. One way we do this is through our Speakers' Schedule. These presentations are open to members and to the general public at a nominal charge. In the recent past, speakers have addressed such topics as: The Orphans’ Festival, and the History of the Royal Botanical Gardens. We also host an annual History Trivia evening.
Over the years we have worked on heritage projects such as: the restoration of the Gore Park fountain, the installation of the City Hall clock and bell, and the creation of historic plaques. For more information, see our History of the Society page.
The Society's crest was drawn by the famous Canadian artist and illustrator Dr. C.W. Jefferys. It takes the form of a map showing Burlington Beach, Burlington Bay and the Dundas Marsh beyond. Inset into the map is a sketch of the head of King George the Third, as it appeared on the sign of the King's Head Inn, a government building erected in 1794 at the south end of the Beach.
When the Executive Council commissioned a special “Millennium Logo” it was decided to incorporate the Gore Park Fountain because of its important place in Hamilton history and because our Society’s efforts to restore it as a Sesquicentennial project in 1996.
- David Simpson - President
- Paul Kuzyk - Past President
- Joseph Mielko - Vice President
- Terry Watson - Treasurer
- Christine Lei - Recording Secretary
- Susanne Noordyk - Membership Secretary
- Linda Wojcik - Councillor
- Mike Wojcik - Councillor
- Anne Howarth - Councillor
- David Beland - Councillor
- Robin McKee - Councillor
Presidents of the Society
- 1944-1946 Dr. Alexander H. Wingfield
- 1946-1948 Thomas Roy Woodhouse
- 1948-1950 George Laidler
- 1950-1952 Miss Nina Edwards
- 1952-1954 Robert S. Charlton
- 1954-1956 John M. Cowan
- 1956-1960 Rev. Thomas Melville Bailey
- 1960-1962 Andrew Trew Wood
- 1962-1966 Miss Mary H. Farmer
- 1966-1968 William M. McCulloch
- 1968-1971 Miss Lillian M. Shaw
- 1971-1974 Charles A. Carter
- 1974-1976 Charles A. Doubrough
- 1976-1978 J. T. L. Fletcher
- 1978-1979 Miss Katharine Greenfield
- 1979-1981 Gordon G. Powell
- 1981-1983 Murray W. Aikman
- 1983-1988 Stewart R. Leslie
- 1988-1990 Janet Norris
- 1990-1996 Dennis Missett
- 1996-2004 Margaret E. Houghton
- 2004-2008 Paul Kuzyk
- 2008-2012 Margaret E. Houghton
- 2012-2017 Sean Carney
- 2017-2018 Margaret E. Houghton
- 2018-2019 Paul Kuzyk
- 2019-present David Simpson
Annual memberships may be purchased at Society meetings or by contacting the Membership Secretary.
Memberships run from January to December.
$20.00 per annum
$35.00 per annum
$5.00 per meeting
We are a CRA registered charity: BN 11895 4916 RR0001
Donations can be made to the Society with Canada Helps at: https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/head-of-the-lake-historical-society/